Friday, December 10, 2010

I Can See That Manners Are Not Your Strong Point

I know that manners do not occupy pride of place in the retail shopping experience. However, even I am taken aback by the complete boorishness of certain customers. I feel compelled to share two things that happened to me at work today.

1. Part of my job is showing people what certain textile accessories look like on a human (as opposed to a mannequin). Today I was demonstrating how to put on a particularly beautiful scarf. A woman looked at me and said "It looks like a fungus. You look like a rock with a fungus growing on it."

There is really no good response to a comment like that. So I did what I always do. I smiled and I bit back the urge to tell her that everything about her appearance (lumpy body type, lumpy coat, saggy jowls, lank hair) made her look like some kind of terrifying human-potato hybrid.

2. This afternoon, another woman was looking at a lovely pair of handmade fingerless gloves. She laughingly told her friend that she didn't understand why "these homeless person gloves" were so popular. I'm sure she also has a good chuckle every time she sees a homeless person huddled on a subway grate. And no, she didn't return the gloves to the proper location when she scornfully tossed them down.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment